Imagine a role with the flexibility to create your own schedule while helping trainees become proficient in their chosen discipline. Do you have a passion for training, teaching and coaching, and working with trainees, guiding them past the “aha!” moment, when the lights come on & it all makes sense, and we’ve kick-started their career? You will be a role model for others and act as a coach and trainer and be responsible for training new employees.
We are looking for a seasoned CNC Machinist to become a Mentor-Coach for our training programs. This unique role would fit someone who excels in people skills, coaching and training and is looking to share their expertise with the next generation.
The primary responsibility of the Mentor-Coach is to
- assist the trainees and company trainers in allocating specific types of work to the trainee to ensure that the trainee successfully completes all the required Technical Learning Outcomes (TLO) of the on-the-job blended training program, and becomes certified in their discipline.
- Mentor and coach trainees as they undertake the theoretical e-learning portion of the training program and support them through the exams.
The Mentor-Coach makes technical judgements about the trainees learning outcomes, authors trainee evaluations – an evaluation decision based on technical assessments and exams.
The Mentor-Coach works with a team delivering blended on-the-job training learning programs. At any one time, there may be a dozen trainees (each from separate companies) undertaking the training program.
The Mentor-Coach works with people every day, not machines.
The part that you play in this organization, and specific duties you are measured against
- Primary responsibility is to ensure trainees meet the Technical Learning Outcomes, industry defined technical competencies, at the conclusion of the program. In this regard, the Monitor-Coach is the program’s “eyes” to provide an independent perspective regarding progress and successful completion of all the TLOs and Shop Floor Assignments.
- You will visually review and assess each trainee’s performance and progress throughout the program and intervene as required to ensure the trainee is advancing in a successful manner towards completing the TLOs.
- The Monitor-Coach provides counsel, guidance and input to the trainee and company’s trainer.
- Provide directly to trainee’s: advice, guidance, assistance, and coaching. This will be provided when the trainee contacts the Monitor-Coach or in the judgment of the Monitor-Coach the trainee requires such. Trainees have been advised that the Monitor-Coach is available to them for this type of support and that they should contact their Monitor-Coach if they wish to.
- The Monitor-Coach will visit trainees and trainers at the worksite once or twice during the program (eventually moving to virtual visits) to examine progress of the training and/or administer the final practical exam.
- Meeting regularly with the employer’s trainer(s) to:
- Review each TLO with each employer’s trainer(s) to confirm the trainee has accomplished all TLOs on the firms mix of machinery, noting any variances
- Ensure their trainees are progressing through the training program and that the trainer(s) are updating the TLO Tracker and training management system accordingly so as to create and maintain a record of the trainees’ progress
- Learn and become intimate with their e-learning program, course content, shop floor assignments and exams
- Initially you will be responsible for training new CNC machinists and operators, while future responsibilities will grow to include other manufacturing semi-skilled roles
- You will influence current and future course content, enhancements, implementation, processes, and methods
- Works closely with e-Learning Instructor and technical trainers at participating companies and Administration Manager (for orientation workshops and in-take schedules)
- This role reports directly to the Director of Programs and Registrar
All the things you’re good at because you’ve done most of these before
- A master tradesperson with 10 years machining experience on a variety of CNC Machines and conventional mills and lathes in a production machine shop. You will not be machining.
- 5 years CNC programing experience
- Trained or coached people. Demonstrable experiencing training operators in the safe operation of machines to achieve desired quality and quantity of output.
- You have the ability to train a diverse group of people. You are confident in your abilities and can demonstrate that confidence to trainees.
- You are comfortable with virtual meetings and remote assistance
- You are capable of exercising independent judgment
- Post-secondary training in machining, Provincial journeyman’s ticket, or Interprovincial Certificate of Qualification Red Seal Endorsement in Machinist or Tool and Die
- Computer Literacy – efficient in MS Office applications, Zoom, Google apps and an interest to learn and recommend new technologies.
- Excellent communication skills, presentation skills and an active listener
- French language is a plus
- Largely a virtual role, but we require the individual to be based in GTHA or KW area in order to attend customer sites in the GTHA & KW areas
- Some travel to customer sites for coaching, examinations, or meetings
- Business hours, but occasional after-hours or weekends as needed to accommodate trainees
- This is a contract part-time position
- Mileage expenses
Why our Client?
Our client is non-profit organization who has developed with Industry programs to recruit, assess, hire and train the next generation of manufacturing workers. hey design, develop, manage, and promote Work-Based Learning programs for entry-level to mid-level skilled jobs that enable unskilled people to get hired, acquire industry-valued skills, achieve industry-recognized certification and pursue rewarding career pathways
If this sounds like you and you’re looking to grow your career in the Tech Sector, then we want to hear from you. Please email your resume to Rick @ SearchVelocity.ca, Subject: Mentor-Coach
Keywords: examiner, technical trainer, CNC trainer, part-time, part time, contract, work-from-home, remote, flex location, master instructor