Imagine managing 15,000 lights-out Linux-based media-players in North America? Collectively they have played over 50 billion files.
If your career goal is to build enterprise-level Linux skills, then this role may be for you.
We’re looking for an intermediate-level Linux Engineer, but will also consider strong grads and provide you with training.
About the Job
The purpose of this role and why this role exists.
We continue to grow and are now adding an additional Linux Build Engineer to our Oakville software and R&D office.
Our client is an international digital signage content management, design and control company with implementations ranging from 6in displays to a 19ft x 34ft wall of displays to interactive touch-screen displays. They deliver industry firsts.
Our work environment
- Flex time
- Flexible working location when required
- Full benefits package + RSP matching
- An exciting industry evolving to include Augmented Reality
The part that you play in this organization, and specific duties you are measured against
Design & Build
- Responsible for preparing new Linux Ubuntu based distributions, building and managing patches/upgrades on Intel based hardware
- Responsible for testing, packaging and maintaining software components for the Linux appliances
- Work with component manufacturers for developing drivers/custom libraries to support the applications on the appliance
- Develop system firmware, low-level server interface with firmware (video cards, NIC, USB)
- Test & certifying Linux hardware appliances. Deploying Linux to bare-metal appliances
- Working with Product Management to deploy new features and functionality to new implementations and existing implementations
Support & Maintain
- Level-3 support
- Troubleshoot issues, determine root cause problem, implementing workarounds and permanent solutions
- Linux system configuration and administration
- Apply OS and firmware updates in a lights-out environment
- Liaise with partners, suppliers and contractors
- Building and inventory configuration database
- Work with QA defining test procedures
Some of the Experiences & Background we’d like to see
All the things you’re good at because you’ve done most of these before
- 5-years+ experience in Linux, and broad knowledge of Linux based graphics technology
- Ubuntu experience
- Scripting with Python, Perl, Bash
- Experience with Linux kernel, file-system, and driver architecture
- Experience coding in C on Linux environment, to develop system firmware, Linux kernel, distributions, and drivers (very nice to have)
- Understand the Linux sub-systems like: Video, USB, NIC
- Strong system debugging abilities and very strong with networking and debugging networking, and Linux driver hardware and stability issues
- Knowledge of networking principles and applications / technologies (e.g., TCP protocols, DNS, DHCP services, VPN, Firewall)
- Effective communication skills as you will be in regular contact with the client – great opportunity to further refine your communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent
Let’s Get to Work!
To learn more about the client, their culture and the opportunity, we invite you to share your resume with us via this job board or to Rick @ SearchVelocity.ca, Subject: Linux Build Engineer
Have a canned cover letter? Delete it. Tell us why you’re perfect for this opportunity and you’re virtually guaranteed an interview.
We provide recruitment services to technology companies to identify and acquire high-value technology staff. We specialize in complex assignments, roles requiring multiple technologies, skills and/or business vertical knowledge, like this one.
We bring 25+ years of broad experience working in software companies and IT professional consulting firms as hiring management of Technical staff. We can help you find the right people.
Based in Halton Region, Ontario (GTA-West) we specialize on the staffing challenges of tech companies located in Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton Hills, Georgetown, Hamilton, Mississauga, Brampton and Toronto. Visit us at SearchVelocity.ca
Keywords: job, jobs, Halton, Oakville, Milton, Burlington, Hamilton, Mississauga, Linux Kernel